Hope everyone’s enjoying their long weekends! We didn’t have a corporate speaker this week, but we did have Nathan come speak to us about our resumes. Nathan is from Wasserman’s Peers in Careers and gave us a quick, yet insightful presentation on what and what not to do put on your resume.
I know some of you may feel as though resume dos and don’ts get repeated a lot and some of us could probably write a book about resumes, but Nathan reminded us of some important details that can make all of the difference.
1. Your resume should not be the same for all jobs (especially if the jobs are in different fields)
2. If you’re a freshman, it’s okay to include some high school experience, but try to get rid of it by Spring semester of your freshman year
3. Provide detailed descriptions, event for the smallest efforts!
4. Include your GPA (especially if it’s above a 3.0- Show Off Your School Skills)
5. Provide interests but use your common sense- be specific, but not too specific
6. Use the cover letter to market yourself! You’re a Marketing major (or something similar)! Use those marketing skills and show your employers how awesome you are before you even meet them
The second half of our meeting was dedicated to people interested in joining the E-board next year!
The roles for Fall 2015 are:
· Conference Directors
· New Project Director
· Director of Professional Outreach
· Brand Manager
· Director of Industry News and Social Media
· Director of Membership
· Director of Community Service
· Direct of Social Events
For those who want to run for President, Vice President or Treasurer, you must e-mail email@example.com to inform us about you're interested, apply online, and write a one minute speech to be given Wednesday, March 11.
If you missed this interest meeting, fear not! There will be another one on Sunday, February 22.
Unfortunately, there will not be ADversary tomorrow because we have the day off :( BUT we hope to see you all on Wednesday for JP Morgan’s Asset Management group coming in to talk to us about Marketing!
ADversary: Mondays Tisch UC-19- 12:30pm
Regular Meetings: Wednesday Tisch UC-04- 12:30pm